Saturday, January 20, 2007

It's midnight and I'm online??

Ok- so one of my clueless neighbors has an unprotected network and must just leave it on all the time.... so is it MY fault that my laptop trolls for connections and makes them without telling me?

So now that book relay is no more, we are building a new home. I think most of us have found our way back, but I really miss the blogs, so if anyone is out there.... and if there's a way to do "friends" pages here, I'd love to be able to hook us up to make this all easier to find each other's blogs.
There I thinks I have to know...
What's Karen knitting?
How's Ace's curling?
How are Sand and the Stud muffin getting along?
How is Marlene? Did she get blown away in the storm?
Am I bold?
Pyan and Rosie-- are you doing ok?

so the only reading I'm doing is for classes and three grad classes are pretty rough, but somehow they are all covering the same thing right now. I love my "Just a Theory" book. It all about why theories aren't guesses- and directly debates evolution and creationism. I can't wait for some poor misinformed soul to ask "but isn't that just a theory?" **evil laugh**

So here's my big story of the week-

For the last 12 years or so I have been a part of Heartland's Environmental Club. I formed the club as a student and was the first president. Then about 7 years ago I became an advisor when I started at HCC full time. The other advisor has kind of been my mentor since I started school, and we've always worked well together. The club is the oldest and best known on campus.

So- last week, one of the other earth science faculty "declared" himself an advisor to the enviro club. I've pretty much been running things for the last few years- the other advisor was gone for a year after 9-11 (air guard) and when he came back, he just left it all to me. This other guy- we'll call "Lazy Larry" is doing a promotion portfolio. Now faculty can ask for faster promotions if they show they deserve it- in 3 years instead of 5 years (when you get one no matter what). To get a 3 year promotion you have to turn in a portfolio tha shows you have done "substantial" additions to your duties- be on committees, do faculty inservices, be club advisors, that kind of thing. Now Lazy Larry has done NOTHING since he started three years ago. Portfolios are due March 1. (Lazy Larry walks into a classroom, sits his ass down , turns off the lights and reads powerpoints to the class. Unless he's showing a video. Or having me walk them out in to the greenspace for a lecture on biodiversity.)

So when he "declared" himself advisor- he really used the word- first I was pissed- who the f**k does he think he is? Then I got even, which is much more fun. The email I sent back to him (and the other advisor, and our assistant dean, and the guy in charge of the clubs at HCC) which went something like this:
Lazy Larry,
I'm SO glad you are willing to help out with the club! I'm going to be so busy with grad school that this really helps me out- Spring is the perfect time to take over- there will be Earth Day activities to plan, Arbor Day, Springfest, and the greenspace cleanup day. The website needs updating, so you can take care of that, and you need to fill out paperwork with Joe [the guy who oversees the clubs] and send a representative to the student senate every month. Now [the other advisor] is the only one who can sign the checks, so you need to coordinate everything with him.[these two guys seldom even speak to each other- bad blood there.] And since you have never actually BEEN to an enviro club meeting, ask [the other advisor] all about it. He can fill you in.

I got back an email saying that he was going to be very busy working on his portfolio until March 1, and wouldn't be able to do anything until then. (the sound of fear and backpedalling?) And then he'll be busy developing a new class for the fall. Oh yes, and he would love to work on the webpage but doesn't have access to it.

Email 2 from me-
Lazy Larry,
Since earth day is April 22 [which I doubt he knew] you'll have PLENTY of time to gear something up after March 1. And if you find yourself in a crunch doing all the work days [this guy has never walked out to the pond to my knowlegde-he did drive out to water and over fertilize a tree until it was dead] then just ask [the other advisor] to help. I'm working with ITS to get you access to the webpage, and you have already been put on the HCC website as advisor instead of me.

in other words- you asked for it pal, and you got it. He thought he was going to get a free ride and something for his portfolio...no sirree... he thinks he can take over MY club?????

There's nothing he can do in two years that I can't fix in two weeks. And he won't get a dime of money. Not without my say so- because the other advisor (who thinks I may have lost my marbles) wants me to keep the checkbook because he'll lose it. (again.)

bwahahaaaaaa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please let us know whatyou end up planning for EARth Day! We have an events sign up sheet and we would love to hear abotu what you are going to do. Easpecially if you need volunteers or want something more community based!

The staff at Earth Day Network

PS your blog came to us through the google alert system which send us anything that is out there on EArth Day.